- From WPKN,
Bridgeport CT - "Women's Music for all who color outside the
- Archive of Syllabi in Women's Studies in Music
- On the Royal Holloway University of London Web site but featuring syllabi
mostly from U.S. universities.
of Sources Related to Women's Studies, Gender Studies,
Feminism, and Music
- Compiled for the
Society for Music Theory -- Committee on the Status of Women
(CSW). Broad list of topics. Last updated 2002.
- International music news, mp3s reviews
- Core Lists in Women's Studies - Music
- Liza Vick created this bibliography of books on women in music
- Diana Ross
- Two articles by Daniel Garrett: in Waxpoetics "The
Force Behind the Power: Jazz, Joy, and Social Vision in the Work of
Diana Ross" and on the Identity Theory site, a review of Diana
Ross, the Motown Anthology: Singer, Actress, Businesswoman, Icon, Scapegoat.
- A resource for
women who drum. Worth the visit just to read "Let me tell you
why I made this page ..." There are good resources here too.
Music - Women Composers
- Biographies and
discographies, a good collection of images and an excellent
page of links to other women in music sites by Sarah Wentworth,
New York University. See also an extensive collection of early music MIDI
by Women Composers.
- "The Female Musician is an educational electronic music magazine, audio
production facility and online community for women of all ages who seek
to pursue a career in music."
- Feminist Majority Music Links
- Annotated page of links to women musicians and women's music resources
- Harmony Ridge Music
- Dedicated to femal singer songwriters. Over 400 artists
- International Alliance for Women in Music
- Among other things this site is running "Radio Requests," a
campaign to get more women composers played on classical music radio
stations. They publish two journals: Women & Music: A Journal of
Gender and Culture and IAWM Journal. They also sponsor
the Pauline Alderman Award for outstanding scholarship on women in music.
Archive of Women's Studies in Music
- A collection of
syllabi from differnet universities beginning in 1994 as well
as other links to women in music resources on the Internet.
- New York Women Composers
- New York Women Composers, Inc. is a New York not-for-profit corporation
controlled by its members, all of whom are women composers of serious
concert music or are women in musical occupations who support the composers
in their efforts to be recognized. Membership is open to residents of
New York State and the greater tristate metropolitan area.
Oliveros Foundation Inc. Home Page
- Founded in 1985 to
encourage and support the creation of new work, the Foundation
furthers research in arts technology and sponsors the
exploration and uses of art for the education and development
of human consciousness, making the results available to the
- Recordings & Educational Materials on Music and Women in Music
- This site has: Classical CDs and cassette tapes,
Women Composers, 12th C. onward,
Other Premiere Recordings,
Composer and Artist Bios,
Music Publisher Sources
- Women and Music: A Journal of Gender and Culture
- Women and Music: A Journal of Gender and Culture, an annual journal
of scholarship about women, music, and culture, is published for the
International Alliance for Women in Music (IAWM) by the University of
- Women Composers
- A database of classical music composers "whose works have been
recorded on compact disc" created by Karla Hartl, founder and chair
of the Kapralova
- Women Hymn Composers before 1900
- Some biographical information, MIDI files, lyrics and scores. Put together
by Donald McKillican
- This link takes you
to the American Musicological Society's page of music
resources. Scroll down about half way to find several links to
Women in Music resources.
- Women in Music (UK)
- Resources for women musicians and composers. "WiM celebrates and
helps raise public awareness of women's work in all types of music. It
supports, encourages and enables women to make music. Current projects
include a Professional Development Scheme and a Commissioning Fund ."
in Music Syllabi
- Provided by the
International Alliance for Women in Music - as of June, 1998
the page contained links to no syllabi newer than
- Women In Music
with Laney Goodman
- A weekly one-hour radio program broadcast on public radio stations.
If your local public station doesn't carry the program or puts it on
at some ungodly hour you might be able to listen online. The page has
a list of links to online broadcasts. You'll find playlists for each
week's program here too.
- "Bibliographic List
of Published Songs Composed by American and British Women, ca.
1890-1930" by Christopher Reynolds, U.C. Davis, 1996.